Monday, February 28, 2011

not so UGLI


a big pile of ugli fruit stood before me.Funny , I thought, that someone with a sense of humor must have name it like that.But with a slight twist, ending it in a i instead of a y.The sticker on it, had the name printed and under it the provenance: Jamaica.
I had never tasted an ugli fruit, decided to give it a try.At the cashier, the woman behind me asked me what it was and what to do with it.yes, she said ugly can be interesting too.
The dark green skin is reptilian,with splotches of yellow.The inside flesh is golden and juicy.The taste is that of a mild and sweet pink grapefruit.very delicious.I released the half segments with a grapefruit knife.It went very well in a light salad.

Ugli salad

make a vinaigrette with chopped shallots, apple cider vinegar and olive oil, salt and pepper.
toss your lettuce ( I had a frisee on hand) with segments of ugli fruit,slivers of pears, and thinly sliced red onion

No comments: